Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Top Intellectual Property Law Blogs - Likely To Cause Confusion

Supperblogger Ron Coleman of Likelihood of ConfusionTM fame reviews here my post of Justia's 50 Top Intellectual Property Law Blogs of all time, found here.

Ron asked what Justia's criteria are for the selection.   The answer is that I am not exactly sure, but that I believe that it is raw, gross traffic.   My post of the 50 Top IP Law Blogs of All Time was taken from the Justia Blawgsearch under the Intellectual Property category, where popularity is measured daily, weekly, monthly and all time.

Ron queries the Patry Copyright Blog's ranking of number 26.   Prof. Patry was an extraordinary, prolific and powerful writer who poured his heart and soul into his blog.   I am happy to see that the database he created endured.   When he deleted his entire blog, I was one of the people who contacted him to protest, he put it back up and it's an important resource.

I would point out that Copywrite, currently ranked at 27 was written by an IP professor who stopped writing for reasons similar to Patry's on 10/14/2008.

Ben Sheffner's Copyrights and Campaigns doesn't show up, I think it should.

The 1709 Blog has a high Alexa rank and I think has been around for a while, it is excellent but does not show up.

If you go through the Justia top ranked IP law blogs list and use the Alexa toolbar, it is clear that some of the IP Law blogs listed there do not currently receive much traffic.

Traffic is not an indicator of quality or real popularity.   Copyright Litigation Blog's most popular pages relate to a Jewish art dealer named Alfred Flechtheim whose collection was stolen by the Nazis and whose stolen artworks now populate the world's museums.   My posts on Alfred Flechtheim here.

Some of the most popular search terms that result in a hit to Copyright Litigation Blog have nothing to do with intellectual property and are clearly from people arriving here in error.

Looking at today's Justia Blawgsearch, Patry's Copyright Blog was at number 9 and Copyright Litigation Blog was at number 34.    Dead blogs may contain more wisdom than live ones.   Part of the reason that I chose blogging is that unlike print media, I could set my own deadlines and choose to blog only when I felt like it.   This blog's sporadic nature reflects my busy practice and my seasonal interest in updating my Copyright Litigation Handbook.

In the end, Ron Coleman is correct, any top 50 ranking based on ranking may lead to a Likelihood of Confusion.


 Purchase Copyright Litigation Handbook 2010 by Raymond J. Dowd from West here  

2 comments:

Ron Coleman said...

Thanks, Ray! This made me chuckle:
"Some of the most popular search terms that result in a hit to Copyright Litigation Blog have nothing to do with intellectual property and are clearly from people arriving here in error."
Oh, I wish I could say some of my traffic is the result of search errors. I am sure most of my traffic has nothing to do with my topic, but with one of the following search terms (usually image searches): SPAM, TWEETY BIRD, VOLDEMORT, CHAGALL and, oddly, REALLY GOOD LOOKING SLIGHTLY OVERWEIGHT NERDY JEWISH LAWYER IN NEW YORK.

Smartalec said...

What's a supperblogger? Something to do with cooking?