Monday, May 21, 2007

Blogging Chaps

I met a lawyer today from the Midlands region of England named Andrew Mills. He's the partner in charge of IP and Tech at a 65 partner firm (500 lawyers) named Freeth Cartwright based in Nottingham. Andrew had a bit of free time today in New York city, so he hopped on the internet to see if he could meet a fellow legal blogger. I had a spot open just before lunch, so Andrew and I got to meet.

We talked about copyright, trademarks and how the U.S. and British regimes varied. Andrew knew a few tricks about how U.S. trademark owners could improve their trademark registration portfolios and I think I shared a few strategies involving cease and desist letters in the U.S. that were interesting to him. He told me that in the past five years British litigation has died down quite a bit due to prelitigation mediation and pre-filing communication rules.

I am hoping to follow up on Andrew's visit with a visit of my own to Nottingham. Andrew says it's about 2.5 hours north of London. Check out Andrew's blog, It's an interesting admixture of news, parliamentary debates, and other good ip fun.

Andrew is coming out with a book this fall, so keep an eye out for it!

No comments: